forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5439  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Aug 11, 2001  3:41 pm
Subject:  Re: forming own writing conventions

Stefan in Germany wrote:
>Well it would be soooo interesting to study the reasons for different
>SW-styles in the world - if they really show up. Do you really need
>different movement descriptions in different countries?

SignWriting List
August 11, 2001

Hello Everyone!
Thank you Helen and Stefan, for this discussion. I too wanted to
discuss this issue. Although it is natural for different writing
conventions to develop in different countries, I believe through the
SignWriting List, we have the opportunity to create a more unified
writing system...

After all...There are not many writing systems historically, that
developed while communicating on the internet! And so through the
internet we might be able to discuss these issues and come to some
common conclusions.

The reason, historically, that other writing systems had different
conventions, is partly do to the fact that people did not have
contact with others around the world. Without radio, TV, ttys and
computers, previous generations would not know how other people were
writing in other countries...so the isolation created different
writing conventions.

One historic example of this.... some of the special letters of the
Roman alphabet used in the Scandinavian spoken languages....the
Danes, for example, use a special symbol in their Roman alphabet that
does not exist in some other languages...They write with an "o" with
a slash through it...So everytime a person is discussing a Danish
spelling (with someone outside of Scandinavia), that special symbol
has to be explained to the other person...so the Scandinavian writing
conventions are not used in other parts of Europe.

Now, if 500 years ago, the Scandinavians were on the internet...who
knows?! Maybe that symbol would have become standard throughout all
of Europe! Ha ;-)

So...Helen...yes...please send us examples of some of your
writing...creating GIFs would be great...but you can also make a
JPEG, or send us a SGN file, or a PDF file, and then someone else can
create GIFs for you...that way we can start the process...

I know there are several symbols used in Nicaragua that are
different, so I think it would be wise to discuss them...James told
me briefly about a couple, but our meeting was so brief that there
was no time to discuss those issues.

And Anselmo asked me how to write certain facial expressions, and
signs that are in front of the face...but I never got a chance to
explain....too bad! Maybe we can do it now....
--
Val ;->

....visit the...

SignWritingSite
https://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages

SignBankSite
https://www.SignBank.org
Sign Language Dictionaries

DanceWritingSite
https://www.DanceWriting.org
Read & Write Dance

MovementWritingSite
https://www.MovementWriting.org
Read & Write All Movement

Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
phone: 858-456-0098....fax: 858-456-0020

  Message 5439  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index