forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5459  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Aug 13, 2001  2:20 pm
Subject:  Movement Dynamics

SignWriting List
August 13, 2001

Dear SW List Members:

Movement can be fast or slow, smooth or jerky, gradual or not
gradual, tense or relaxed. In SignWriting, we call the symbols that
write these differences: "Movement Dynamics Symbols".

This is one area where SignWriting gives more detail than writing
English. In English, we do not write how fast we speak, or whether a
person is tense or relaxed!

When writing Sign Languages, the Movement Dynamic Symbols can
actually change the meaning of the sign. Some signs are written
exactly the same as another, except for the difference of speed or
tension, and those differences can change the meaning.

Earlier in July, a sign was posted that combined both the Fast
Movement Symbol and the Slow Movement Symbol, one on top of each
other. That combination would be impossible to execute. I suspect
instead, the author wanted to write the Gradual Movement Symbol,
which looks similar to the Slow Movement Symbol...so that was a very
understandable mistake.

So this gives us an opportunity to review the Movement Dynamics
Symbols. This will in turn, bring us back to the issues of writing
Finger Movements later...after we finish with Movement Dynamics ...
--
Val ;->

....visit the...

SignWritingSite
https://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages

SignBankSite
https://www.SignBank.org
Sign Language Dictionaries

DanceWritingSite
https://www.DanceWriting.org
Read & Write Dance

MovementWritingSite
https://www.MovementWriting.org
Read & Write All Movement

Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
phone: 858-456-0098....fax: 858-456-0020

  Replies Author Date
5460 Re: Movement Dynamics Valerie Sutton Mon  8/13/2001

  Message 5459  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index