forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5468  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Aug 14, 2001  2:07 pm
Subject:  Re: Movement Dynamics

Charles Butler wrote:
>Here is a shorthand we use in Brasil, using the smooth, gradual markers. It
>makes it much faster to write using the open hand, which shows which
>direction we are going to close.

SignWriting List
August 14, 2001

Hello Charles -
Yes. I have seen the writing in Brazil. It is not readable from a "SW
Printing" perspective. If it is Shorthand, then of course other
countries will not be able to read it, because you are assuming
knowledge, plus changing how some symbols are defined....So Shorthand
and Printing are two different things. I hope you will not be
including Shorthand in your dictionary right now?, unless you create
a separate section just for the Shorthand...

Right now, I would like to continue to teach SW Printing, so that
anyone in any country can read the movements properly.

Then we can talk about possible solutions. In the examples you gave
us, Charles,by just adding an arrowhead to the curve, a lot of the
problem goes away.

Actually, you did not write GRADUAL movement. You wrote SLOW & SMOOTH
movement. GRADUAL requires two small curves together....It is
different than what you wrote.

I will continue teaching the SW Printing slowly, and I will
definitely go into these symbols in depth...Teaching the SW Shorthand
is whole different ballgame...so I think we should leave that alone
for now!

Attachment
beauty1.gif
Type: image/gif

  Message 5468  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index