forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5482  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Aug 15, 2001  6:23 pm
Subject:  Re: New Member of List!!

SignWriting List
August 15, 2001

Welcome, Tony, to the SignWriting List! And thank you for your message.

I will answer in stages, because of a heavy work load...

My first thought...
Since you live in Ireland, for your general information about
SignWriting & computer input, you might contact a fellow Irishman,
Michael Everson in Dublin. Michael is working on the "SignWriting
Universal Character Set", or "Unicode". Unicode will someday enhance
SignWriting, because it will offer us another way to input
SignWriting into computers. The project is lacking funding at this
time, but with the proper backing, it could move forward.

Of course, Unicode probably has little to do with your project,
Tony...but Michael also knows other programmers in Ireland who may be
able to be of assistance. When Michael came to visit me last Spring,
I met a Java programmer from Ireland too...

And another reason why Michael Everson may be of interest...Michael
has worked with BLISS symbols in computers, creating ways of
in-putting the visual symbols of BLISS...I believe he told me that
they use touch screens sometimes because some people who use BLISS
are multiply-handicapped....

So a network of communication can be established for you, both on the
SW List, and also in Ireland. So write to:

Michael Everson

Some web pages on Michael's work:

Unicode
Encoding SignWriting Universal Character Set
https://www.SignWriting.org/forums/software/unicode/unicod00.html

Everson Font Development for SignWriting
https://www.SignWriting.org/catalog/sw214.html

ISO Code "sgn"
International Computer Code For Sign Languages
https://www.egt.ie/standards/iso639/sgn.html
https://www.SignWriting.org/forums/software/unicode/unicod01.html

Val ;-)

  Message 5482  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index