forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5486  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Aug 15, 2001  7:58 pm
Subject:  SW Touch Screen Keypad

Angus B. Grieve-Smith wrote:
>There are some other SignWriting-related projects that may not be
>quite as flashy, but still need someone to spend a lot of time on
>them. Top of the list in my mind is that the way of typing signs that was
>invented for SignWriter is not very intuitive or comfortable. A thorough
>human factors analysis would do wonders by improving the speed and ease of
>typing in SignWriting.

SignWriting List
August 15, 2001

That would be great research, Angus. We would first need to train
some typists in the way we designed the typing to work in the first
place...Part of the problem is that people are downloading and using
SignWriter 4.4 before they know SignWriting itself, let alone
learning to type it. So although it may seem counter-intuitive, I
actually do not feel that way. I think it is a lack of proper
documentation and training in typing, that may be part of the
problem...I am not sure how to solve that problem, except to improve
our textbooks, and to hold workshops.

I developed a new vertical-typing-system for SignWriter 5.0, but
sadly it has never been fully implemented. Someday I hope to go back
to working on that again...

Val ;-)

  Message 5486  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index