forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5507  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Nancy Cole
Date:  Sat Aug 18, 2001  4:21 pm
Subject:  Re: sw symbols for the different countries _ here : Mexico

Hello Stephen and List,

I'm working with a student from Burma.  She told me that in her county the
Deaf use Burmese Sign Language, but I can't find anything about it on the
internet.  The Deaf are considered in her country to be handicapped and are
not allowed to sign in the classroom.  She is learning sign writing (at a
very fast rate!) and I'm going to try and get her to write her language.

But I'm curious...do you know where I can find out about her sign language?
They sign Burma with two hands pressed together (like in "pray") she said
this is because they are Budists (spelling) worship in that country.  She has
very limited English and just came to this country last year.  Deaf in her
country are not encouraged to be together, but she still stays in contact
with her friends there.  Anyways, just a thought.  If you know where I can
find out more, let me know:)

Smiles
Nancy Cole
Las Cruces, NM
  Message 5507  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index