forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5510  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Sun Aug 19, 2001  1:09 pm
Subject:  Re: sw symbols for the different countries _ here : Mexico

On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Charles Butler wrote:

> The "mime" of the sign Mexico is of a "serape" being thrown around the
> shoulders and clasped in front.

This is a good explanation of the articulation of this sign,
Charles. But I didn't realize that this sign was on the Web page; it
doesn't correspond to what little Mexican Sign Language I know.

In ASL, I'm used to seeing the sign for "Spanish" used to mean
"hispanic" (i.e. from a Spanish-speaking country) but I hadn't seen this
variant used for "Mexico." The sign that I was taught to use for
"Mexico" is the third one in the attached gif.

When I took Mexican Sign Language classes, we were taught to use
the fourth sign that I have written in the gif. I'm not sure I'm writing
the right thing: the fingertips brush the top of the tip of the nose, and
move outward. The movement is all from the wrist: the arm stays
stationary unless the signer wants to make a "big" movement.

I've also seen a variant made at the forehead, but I don't think
that that is "citation form."

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

Attachment
mex2.gif
Type: IMAGE/gif

5512 Mexican sign for Mexico Valerie Sutton Sun  8/19/2001
5516 Re: Mexican sign for Mexico Angus B. Grieve-Smith Sun  8/19/2001
5517 British Sign for England Valerie Sutton Sun  8/19/2001

  Message 5510  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index