forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5527  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann2
Date:  Mon Aug 20, 2001  6:15 pm
Subject:  Re: Mexican sign for Mexico

Hi Valerie, Angus and friends ...

(Valerie wrote : (...)

> Meanwhile, as you know, you are always welcome to add the beginning
> and end positions to any sign, if you feel it is necessary.
> --
>
> Val ;->

well it is just for the sake of getting more security that SW is a powerfull
instrument to write with a minimum of misunderstanding - as I mentioned
before -

the tricky thing about these SW symbols is that almost every "uninformed
reader" is willing to "read = perform" almost any given spelling the way
the instructor explains to him. From now on this specific sign will be
remembered as the "learned sign" (this is my daily experience.)

But if you become more and more skilled and you start to read on your own
documents that are written from others - there are several problems and
chances of misinterpretation (I am not talking about SL and meaning and
content but performing the described movement ) if all of us do not pay
attention to the use of symbols as they are defined.
Sometimes it is just a kind of intuition that makes me wonder about some
spellings -
Well and in the long run - perhaps we have to distinguish between a spelling
for the informed reader (nativ signer of a given SL) and general movement
writing , which should or has to be more exact ??

Stefan ;-)

  Replies Author Date
5531 Re: Mexican sign for Mexico Valerie Sutton Tue  8/21/2001

  Message 5527  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index