forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5531  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Aug 21, 2001  4:33 pm
Subject:  Re: Mexican sign for Mexico

Stefan wrote:
>Well and in the long run - perhaps we have to distinguish between a
>spelling for the informed reader (nativ signer of a given SL) and
>general movement writing , which should or has to be more exact ??

SignWriting List
August 21, 2001

Yes, exactly!

When we write signed languages we do not know ourselves, we tend to
write "Movement Writing". That way we can get all the detail.

But...when native signers start reading and writing their own Sign
Language on a daily basis, that becomes "SignWriting", which is a
blend of Movement Writing plus some shortened spellings, that
naturally evolve with use.

The users know their native language after all, and they do not need
the detail that a foreigner would...

So that is why I try to find a balance, and show several ways to
write each sign, leaving it to those who know the language, to choose
what is best for them.

Val ;-)

  Message 5531  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index