forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5532  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Aug 21, 2001  4:55 pm
Subject:  Old and new palm facing writings...

Stefan wrote:
>The reason for my doubts is that I thought that you have to hook the
>index-fingers into each others which is almost impossible if you hold the
>right palm down and the left palm up.

SignWriting List
August 21, 2001

Actually, the old writing of the sign for "Spain" in ASL, (which is
the spelling we were using for Mexico because we didn't know the sign
for Mexico)...that old writing...is based on another theory of
writing, having to do with planes.

A little like old spellings for German words, versus new German
spellings...reading an old spelling in SignWriting is a unique
experience too.

In the 1980's, we did not have an overhead view of the
handshapes...the symbols with the space at the knuckle joint did not
exist.

The hands were written from another theory on planes, and that theory
still exists in Movement Writing, but I stopped teaching it, and
replaced it with the overhead view symbols in SignWriting.

So naturally, based on the modern point of view, it would be
impossible to perform it as it was written...but if you knew the
other theory on planes, it would be fine...

I must get back to teaching...

I have been distracted by 1000 things. I have been working intensely
on our new SignBank Database. I am trying to develop a user-friendly
environment for your students who will be using the database, and at
the same time, provide a sophisticated tool for researchers and
dictionary publishers. It is not a small task. It takes me a half-day
to enter just one symbol, with all its 98 positions, into SymbolBank
(so we can look up by SSS). Plus I am working with the FileMaker
programmer to make all this work effortlessly in FileMaker -
--
Val ;->

....visit the...

SignWritingSite
https://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages

SignBankSite
https://www.SignBank.org
Sign Language Dictionaries

DanceWritingSite
https://www.DanceWriting.org
Read & Write Dance

MovementWritingSite
https://www.MovementWriting.org
Read & Write All Movement

Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
phone: 858-456-0098....fax: 858-456-0020

  Message 5532  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index