forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5555  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Aug 22, 2001  5:18 pm
Subject:  Re: SW Touch Screen Keypad

Tony McCloskey in Ireland wrote:
>I was wondering about the SignBank does it come as a
>book or as a software package and how many signs does it contain?? I need
>to buy a copy could you tell me how much it is so I can get the college to
>buy a copy and how I go about ordering it!!

SignWriting List
August 22, 2001

I am so glad to hear from you again, Tony. Did the advice and input
from the SignWriting List members help? I hope so!

We have a printed American Sign Language Dictionary with 3100 signs.
It can be purchased in book form (a three-ringed notebook that is
like a textbook):

Sutton's American Sign Language Dictionary
https://www.SignWriting.org/catalog/sw122.html

And the same dictionary of 3100 signs is a part of the free
SignWriter Shareware, US version. The dictionary is stored in the
shareware, and can be accessed by opening the SignWriter program. It
can be printed from the shareware too.

Download Shareware
https://www.SignWriting.org/forums/software/sw44/download

And there are other wonderful dictionaries in SignWriting around the
world, including the Brazilian Sign Language Dictionary, which is
available for purchase from Brazil:

Brazilian Sign Language Dictionary
https://www.SignWriting.org/brazil/brazil.html

In regards to your question about the SignBank Database....It is
specially-designed database software in FileMaker 5.0. We are working
with a FileMaker developer, to create database software that makes it
possible to sort signs by Sign-Symbol-Sequence. So it is quite
unique. FileMaker has never been used in this fashion before.

The SignBankSite
https://www.SignBank.org

SignBank 1.0 was a Macintosh desk accessory for storing signs, which
we developed in the mid 1980's. It is no longer available.

SignBank 2.0 is a new version in FileMaker 5.0. It will work on
Macintosh and Windows.

SignBank 2.0 is not ready yet. I am hoping to ask a few beta testers
to help me in September to test SignBank 2.0. But even with a
successful testing period, that will not give us a database. It will
give us software for creating new databases. But it may take us years
to actually build large SignBanks.

In time it will be sold. I do not know the price yet.

Which Sign Language do you want to use, Tony? Irish Sign Language? If
so, I know that a Deaf man named Patrick Matthews, in Dublin, has
written a small Irish Sign Language dictionary in SignWriting. As you
know, Sign Languages are not international.
--
Val ;->

....visit the...

SignWritingSite
https://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages

SignBankSite
https://www.SignBank.org
Sign Language Dictionaries

DanceWritingSite
https://www.DanceWriting.org
Read & Write Dance

MovementWritingSite
https://www.MovementWriting.org
Read & Write All Movement

Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
phone: 858-456-0098....fax: 858-456-0020

  Message 5555  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index