forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5559  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Thu Aug 23, 2001  1:31 pm
Subject:  Re: No more printing problems! ;-)

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Stuart Thiessen wrote:

> That may be, but why would a postscript printer balk at the
> postscript? That's what puzzles me. Even if it were Ghostview's
> fault, it doesn't explain the reason that the Postscript printer also
> ignored the output. Hmmm.

Yes, I noticed two things:

1) Ghostview will display the first page. If you try and view the second
page, it will display it, but if you then try and go back to the first
page, it will say "No page numbering available."

2) PDF files are usually much smaller than the corresponding Postscript
files. But the two-page PDF files that Valerie created are significantly
larger (800K). I'm attaching a PDF of the same .sgn file that I created
by printing in format 1 (16 pages); notice how much smaller it is (66K).

No offense to Richard Gleaves, but my thought is that SignWriter
outputs Postscript that has some errors in it. I've created Postscript
files using the regular Windows drivers from all kinds of programs, and
never had a problem converting them with Ghostscript. Acrobat Distiller
may be more tolerant of these errors than Ghostscript; the large PDF file
size may be some way of compensating for it.

We may be able to work around the problem by having everyone who
wants to create PDFs in formats 4 and 5 pay hundreds of dollars to Adobe
and make files ten times larger than they need to be, but that doesn't
sound like the best long-term solution.

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Replies Author Date
5561 Re: No more printing problems! ;-) Valerie Sutton Thu  8/23/2001
5562 Re: No more printing problems! ;-) Valerie Sutton Thu  8/23/2001
5563 Re: No more printing problems! ;-) Angus B. Grieve-Smith Thu  8/23/2001
5565 FileMaker Runtime Valerie Sutton Thu  8/23/2001
5566 Re: FileMaker Runtime Stuart Thiessen Thu  8/23/2001
5567 Re: FileMaker Runtime Valerie Sutton Fri  8/24/2001
5568 Re: FileMaker Runtime Valerie Sutton Fri  8/24/2001

  Message 5559  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index