forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5560  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Tony McCloskey
Date:  Thu Aug 23, 2001  2:07 pm
Subject:  Re: SW Touch Screen Keypad

Hello Valerie
thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I'm starting
to learn Irish Sign Language now in September so I guess it would be most
beneficial if I could get a SignBank than was Irish Sign Language. I'm not
100% sure but I heard that ASL and ISL are more similar than BSL and ISL or
BSL and ASL on that basis I was going to use ASL due to the fact there is
more work done in ASL and then refer back to ISL. At a guess how many basic
signs are there that you would need to have basic everyday conversations.
If I can get them together and then use neural networks or some natural
language technology to get them organised into different clusters and then
have a basic real time rule based system to display then as they are needed
in a conversation on a hand held touch screen I'd have the basis of a PhD.
It seems all so far away but I have to start somewhere so we will see how it
goes!!
The Sign Writing List is great I have had some very helpful people contact
me and give me great advice there is some very smart people on this
listing!! I know I'm well out of my dept in this area but everyone is very
encouraging.
I've downloaded the SignWriter Shareware, US version and printed out the
manual so I'll start reading this and see how I go !!!
Thanks Again!!
Tony!!