forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5565  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Aug 23, 2001  3:46 pm
Subject:  FileMaker Runtime

>Yes, but the problem is that someone still has to buy FileMaker,
>which is not cheap. Unless you use FileMaker to create a database in an
>open format like SQL that can be read with other software.

SignWriting List
August 23, 2001

Are you speaking of FileMaker Runtime? To explain to other List
members.... There is something called FileMaker Runtime. It is a
special programming tool that is availabe to FileMaker developers. It
makes it possible to provide a FileMaker database to the general
public, without the need of the FileMaker program itself. If you use
Runtime, no one is required to purchase FileMaker.

Since I am working with a FileMaker developer, we have access to the
Runtime feature in FileMaker. We are therefore creating two versions
of our new SignBank database in FileMaker.

1. SignBank Runtime will give us a free version of the database as
shareware. No one will be required to own FileMaker. And that could
have PDFs embedded in it (way in the future). The SignBank Runtime
shareware will not have as many features as SignBank 2.0, but you
will be able to search, read and print the database for free.

2. SignBank 2.0, for purchase, will need FileMaker to run. I am
hoping that schools and libraries and research laboratories will
invest in SignBank, if they are seriously interested in sorting
SignWriting dictionaries by Sign-Symbol-Sequence, for publishing
purposes.

Regarding the cost of these programs....there is no doubt that
purchasing software costs money. Students who do not have money can
use the shareware versions. But there are schools and libraries and
other institutions that do purchase these programs...so not everyone
is denied the use of Acrobat 5.0 or FileMaker 5.5.

I am trying to keep SignWriting afloat, while offering some software
for free...it is a hard tightrope to walk...but no complaints! It is
well worth it ;-)

Regarding the issues of SignWriter 4.4....I will ask Richard Gleaves
to help with the bug in ColumnMaker...I cannot promise he will have
the time- He works full time at Qualcomm, and would prefer that
others develop new SignWriting software...but I have written to ask
him what he thinks is happening with the Postscript output...so if
nothing more, perhaps he can explain it to us ;-)

The SW 4.4 upgrade is for free too...which includes the new feature
of being able to print to a postscript file...So we are trying to be
generous, Angus...and of course I am sorry that Stuart has been
inconvenienced...

5566 Re: FileMaker Runtime Stuart Thiessen Thu  8/23/2001
5567 Re: FileMaker Runtime Valerie Sutton Fri  8/24/2001
5568 Re: FileMaker Runtime Valerie Sutton Fri  8/24/2001

  Message 5565  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index