forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5576  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Mon Aug 27, 2001  5:41 pm
Subject:  Re: Arabian Sign Language

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Valerie Sutton wrote:

> I will be adding several other countries. One of them is "the Arabic
> Nations".

> I understand from you, that Arabian Sign Language is really one Sign
> Language with regional dialects. So we need the name of "Arabia" in
> SignWriting for our web page.

I don't exactly understand what you are saying, Valerie. Are you
saying that there is one sign language for all the Arab countries, with
different regional dialects? I haven't seen anything that suggests that
in what Mohamed has written so far. Everything I've heard about what
people sign in the various Arabic-speaking countries indicates that, to
the extent that we have any coherent information, it leans towards the
idea of unrelated sign languages, not dialects.

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Replies Author Date
5577 Re: Arabian Sign Language Valerie Sutton Mon  8/27/2001
5578 Re: Arabian Sign Language Angus B. Grieve-Smith Mon  8/27/2001
5579 Re: Arabian Sign Language Valerie Sutton Mon  8/27/2001
5580 Re: Arabian Sign Language Angus B. Grieve-Smith Tue  8/28/2001

  Message 5576  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index