forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5577  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Aug 27, 2001  5:54 pm
Subject:  Re: Arabian Sign Language

SignWriting List
August 27, 2001

Thank you, Angus, for this message:

Angus B. Grieve-Smith wrote:
> I don't exactly understand what you are saying, Valerie. Are you
>saying that there is one sign language for all the Arab countries, with
>different regional dialects? I haven't seen anything that suggests that
>in what Mohamed has written so far. Everything I've heard about what
>people sign in the various Arabic-speaking countries indicates that, to
>the extent that we have any coherent information, it leans towards the
>idea of unrelated sign languages, not dialects.

Val writes:
Mohamed wrote to me privately today. I believe that Mohamed meant his
message for the SignWriting List, and I did write to tell him, that
he had sent his message to me privately by mistake...but he has not
responded to me on that yet, so I didn't want to post without his
permission.

Meanwhile, I agree with you Angus. I had assumed that each signed
language in each of the Arabic nations were separate and unique
languages....

But then Mohamed implied in his message that it is otherwise, and he
has not ever called any of the Arabic dialects by a "distinct name"
other than Arabic Sign Language or Arabian Sign Language.

I am more than happy to do whatever I am told on this issue...I have
no opinion! I just want to improve our "Who Uses SignWriting" web
page ;-)

I hope Mohamed doesn't mind that I post his private message....Here it goes: