forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5579  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Aug 27, 2001  7:41 pm
Subject:  Re: Arabian Sign Language

Angus B. Grieve-Smith wrote:
>So I'm just wondering whether ALL the sign languages throughout the
>Arab world are dialects of the same language, or whether they are
>from the same family, or whether it is Deaf people overcoming their
>different languages using patience and skill?

SignWriting List
August 27, 2001

This is such an outstanding point, Angus. It is a great question for
linguistics.

It made me think of the differences between Danish and
Norwegian...Why can a Dane have a conversation with a Norwegian,
without changing their language, and still understand each other?
Some can do it better than others though, so I guess there is some
flexibility involved with the two who are communicating....

Teachers oftentimes just work with the "day to day" communication and
leave such analysis to the researchers....

Is there any published research on the signed languages of the Arabic Nations?

5580 Re: Arabian Sign Language Angus B. Grieve-Smith Tue  8/28/2001

  Message 5579  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index