forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5591  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Sep 1, 2001  2:49 pm
Subject:  Symbols-At-A-Glance

SignWriting List
September 1, 2001

Dear SW List Members:
This summer, I have been working with a FileMaker programmer to
design a new dictionary database for SignWriting, called SignBank 2.0.

There are several phases to the work. The first phase was to design
how the software works in FileMaker. Yesterday, our FileMaker
programmer, Todd, delivered his documentation of the FileMaker
programming aspects. Other programmers can now use his documentation
for future database software.

Todd's big work is done, but mine is just beginning! Phase Two is on
my shoulders. I must enter thousands of small gifs into SymbolBank,
so that SignBank can then sort dictionaries by Sign Symbol Sequence.
So I have a lot of data entry ahead of me.

And it is fun! Each hand symbol has 96 positions. So that is 96 GIFs
per symbol.....

As soon as I have entered enough symbols into SymbolBank, Todd and I
can then bundle a beta test version of SignBank 2.0....hopefully by
October.

While I am doing the database entry work, I am also creating web
pages for each symbol. Check back to this site occasionally.
Additions are being made daily:

SymbolBank
Symbols-At-A-Glance
https://www.SignBank.org/symbolbank/sssglance

5592 Re: Symbols-At-A-Glance Valerie Sutton Sat  9/1/2001
5593 Re: Symbols-At-A-Glance Valerie Sutton Sat  9/1/2001
5619 Re: Symbols-At-A-Glance Valerie Sutton Tue  9/11/2001

  Message 5591  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index