forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5615  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Karl Rosenberg
Date:  Mon Sep 10, 2001  9:54 pm
Subject:  Karl is searching

Dear Valerie,
I have so enjoyed wading into SignWriting. I hope that I donıt drown trying
to learn several swimming strokes simultaneously.

This is where I am coming from; Iım an artist, graphic designer, web
designer who has diminishing hearing abilities (HH). My HH situation has
pushed me into often using the computer as a tool to communicate.

I have been given a wonderful opportunity by a technical school. The school
views my design skills and HH condition as assets; my mission, conduct
computer classes for the D/HH. The objective is to introduce the computer as
an English communications tool to be taken into the oral workplace
environment.

The course has been set up for students of the upper tier who can type and
write high school level English. The textbooks and teaching manuals to
upgrade grammar skills have been identified for this level.

I have a request for your and fellow members of the SignWriting List. I need
teaching manuals in English to help me help the D/HH of the lower tier who
have had difficulty bridging the world of topic-comment syntax (ASL) to
subject-verb-object (English).

From the SW files of Petra Horn Rose, Lucinda OıGrady Batch , and Karen van
Hoek I can experience the pleasure of first writing in sign, and from that
base improving ASL grammar. However, I and the lower level students have
been thrown into the water and told ­"go swim".

I can type a sentence in English-followed by the same in Sutton font with a
little pasting of signed words. The result is a strange brew. Are there
basic step by step approaches that take sentences in ASL, like the Grammar
File in SignWriter 4.4, and help the student understand the basic structure
he/she uses with ASL, and then guides him/her into reconstructing the native
language into English? This is my search.

When we announce introducing lower tier students to computers, we envision
workers with their palm computers, being able to type and exchange simple
messages. The business world has been undergoing a rapid communication
revolution, where the acceptance of first e-mail and now palm messengers,
has subtly increased the acceptance of captioning into everyoneıs world. The
time will not be too distant when voice recognition software incorporated
into a palm messenger will enable a D/HH communicator to see what someone
next to him is saying. We want to improve writing skills to be up and ready
for this evolution.

If students gain elementary literacy in both SignWriting and English then
internet communications will be indeed be empowering.

I will appreciate teaching manual recommendations-Karl.

Attachment
Signing_off_now_karl.gif
Type: image/gif

5616 Re: Karl is searching Valerie Sutton Mon  9/10/2001
5618 Re: Karl is searching Valerie Sutton Tue  9/11/2001

  Message 5615  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index