forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5617  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Sep 11, 2001  12:49 am
Subject:  QUESTION: Vertical or Horizontal Writing?

SignWriting List
September 10, 2001

QUESTION:
>The material you sent me is all written in columns and most of the
>works now is written in lines. Am I right? What should I tell the
>people?

ANSWER:
My old DAC staff members (Deaf people who worked with me in the
1990's) felt very strongly about writing in vertical columns, and I
agree 100%. I saw them take notes written in SignWriting, just for
their personal use, and they wrote in vertical columns naturally...it
is the natural progression of the vertical body to write in a
vertical direction....

You can read about this on the web:

The Importance of Writing Sign Language Down In Columns
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/grammar/vertical/vert000.html

Grammar Lessons Online
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/grammar/grammar.html

So writing horizontally or vertically are both acceptable, but
vertical writing is preferable. Publishing in vertical columns will
be the world standard someday.

The problem is that the software has not caught up with this idea.
SignWriter 4.4 can only type horizontally, and then later you can
convert it to columns, with ColumnMaker. ColumnMaker is not a perfect
program....it needs to be updated. But for simple files it works
well...

And although I have developed a system for typing SignWriting in
vertical columns,(that I hope will be quick and visually direct)...we
do not have funding to implement the new idea at this time ;-)

So I am working on a database, developing a way for computers to
search and sort by Sign-Symbol-Sequence at the moment...
--
Val ;->