forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5631  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Cristina
Date:  Mon Sep 17, 2001  2:39 am
Subject:  Re: Vertical or Horizontal Writing?

Dear Valerie and SW list members:
Here in Brazil most of deaf people I contact prefer to
write in vertical columns, but there is a share that
feels more comfortable writing horizontally. I research
(by myself) some interesting aspects in Chinese writing
that have things in common with SW.I send an image that
shows how Chinese can be written. Maybe we'll have a
standartization, but maybe we can stay as Chinese, who
knows how it will develop ?
I've found this example: Chinese can be writen in
vertical columns from right to left or horizontally from
left to right. Some shop signs and newspaper headlines
are written horizontally from left to right.
Cris

> SignWriting List
> September 10, 2001
>
> QUESTION:
> >The material you sent me is all written in columns
and most of the
> >works now is written in lines. Am I right? What
should I tell the
> >people?
>
> ANSWER:
> My old DAC staff members (Deaf people who worked with
me in the
> 1990's) felt very strongly about writing in vertical
columns, and I
> agree 100%. I saw them take notes written in
SignWriting, just for
> their personal use, and they wrote in vertical columns
naturally...it
> is the natural progression of the vertical body to
write in a
> vertical direction....
>
> You can read about this on the web:
>
> The Importance of Writing Sign Language Down In Columns

https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/grammar/vertical/vert0
00.html

> Grammar Lessons Online
> https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/grammar/grammar.html
>

> So writing horizontally or vertically are both
acceptable, but
> vertical writing is preferable. Publishing in vertical
columns will
> be the world standard someday.
> well...
> Val ;->

Attachment
chinese_ex6.gif
Type: application/octet-stream

5634 Re: Vertical or Horizontal Writing? Valerie Sutton Mon  9/17/2001
5635 Re: Vertical or Horizontal Writing? Valerie Sutton Mon  9/17/2001
5636 Re: Vertical or Horizontal Writing? Valerie Sutton Mon  9/17/2001
5637 Re: Vertical or Horizontal Writing? Valerie Sutton Mon  9/17/2001
5638 Re: Vertical or Horizontal Writing? Valerie Sutton Mon  9/17/2001
5639 Re: Vertical or Horizontal Writing? Valerie Sutton Tue  9/18/2001
5640 Re: Vertical or Horizontal Writing? Valerie Sutton Tue  9/18/2001
5641 Re: Vertical or Horizontal Writing? Valerie Sutton Tue  9/18/2001

  Message 5631  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index