forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5641  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Sep 17, 2001  8:09 pm
Subject:  Re: Vertical or Horizontal Writing?

SignWriting List
September 17, 2001

Vertical Writing
So in summary, writing vertically actually changes the way you write
some signs. In the horizontal, you have to add some symbols to
establish the placement of the upper body over to the side. In the
vertical, there are fewer symbols needed, because the visual
connection is made quickly and in a less abstract fashion.

Tini asked me for help. She wanted to know how to write vertically.
My answer is this:

1. People write vertically by hand all the time.
2. But typing vertically by computer does not exist yet.

So don't worry about it, Tini. Just go right ahead as you are doing.
You have no choice but to type horizontally in SignWriter 4.4.

There is a little add-on program called ColumnMaker, that will
convert your horizontal SignWriting into vertical columns. That comes
with the shareware. Unfortunately, ColumnMaker has its limitations.
It does not place signs to the left or right of center....it only
places them in the center going down in columns. There is
instruction on how to use ColumnMaker on the web:

Shareware Instruction
https://signwriting.org/forums/software/sw44/sw44less/download.html

PS. I have developed a way to type vertically, but it has never been
implemented into an official computer program...maybe someday...

Val ;-)

  Message 5641  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index