forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5660  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Sep 22, 2001  12:15 am
Subject:  SSS-1999 GIFs Online

Stefan wrote:
>>Can you offer - or do you know of somebody else who can - some
>>vector-graphic materials that show SW-symbols? If I could
>>construct these symbols with flash 5 (I am not skilled enough and
>>there are so many other computer-lessons I have to study ) I would
>>be able to enlarge them just the way I want to and would get
>>wonderfull smooth lines and curves ... it is just like the Sutton
>>fonts - which can be changed without any problem. Did Steve
>>Parkhurst sent a collection of vector-graphics?

SignWriting List
September 21, 2001

Everyone, and Stefan!
Thanks for this question. I do not know the Flash program. The Sutton
Fonts, designed by Michael Everson, and Steve Parkhurst's fonts, are
called "True Type Fonts":

Sutton True Type Fonts
https://www.SignWriting.org/catalog/sw214.html

Steve Parkhurst in Spain, Antonio Carlos da Rocha Costa in Brazil,
Michael Everson in Ireland, and possibly others too...have all worked
on trying to improve the looks of the SignWriting symbols. I hope
they will give us information on their work, which is truly
appreciated.

Regarding the SSS-1999 symbol set....It is "improved bitmap
graphics", not True Type or vector graphics.

You can download GIFs of some symbols in the SSS-1999 right now. Go
to the Sign-Symbol-Sequence page for the symbol you want, and you
will find a download button under the symbol, in three different
compression formats:

Sign-Symbol-Sequence
Download Gifs for Individual Symbols
https://www.SignBank.org/symbolbank/ssslist/ssslist01.html

Try downloading a symbol, Stefan. Can you un-zip it? If so, you will
find 98 GIFs for one symbol...one for each flop and rotation and palm
facing, plus a Glance diagram and a List diagram.

The new SignBank 2.0 database uses the SSS-1999, so the signs and
symbols do look better.

Hope the GIFs help a little -

....visit the...

SignWritingSite
https://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages

SignBankSite
https://www.SignBank.org
Sign Language Dictionaries

DanceWritingSite
https://www.DanceWriting.org
Read & Write Dance

MovementWritingSite
https://www.MovementWriting.org
Read & Write Movement & Gesture

Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
phone: 858-456-0098....fax: 858-456-0020

  Message 5660  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index