forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5675  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun Sep 23, 2001  4:05 pm
Subject:  SignWriter 4.4 in Arabic? ;-)

Mohamed in the Arabic Nations wrote:
>How can I get SW program supported in Arabic Language and how much it cost?

SignWriting List
September 23, 2001

Dear SW List, and Mohamed:

Thank you for this question. Each computer program has its own
possibilities and limitations. We have two computer programs:
SignWriter 4.4 and SignBank 2.0 (a specially-designed FileMaker
database).

SignWriter 4.4 is in MS DOS, and it has MS-DOS limitations, an old
operating system.

I try to work with the limitations the best I can. SignWriter 4.4 can
accept any spoken language that is written from left to right. Sadly,
that leaves out Japanese, Chinese and of course, Arabic. But that is
only the spoken language. I can definitely create Fingerspelling
Keyboards in SignWriting for any dialect of the Arabic Sign Languages
you wish...plus we can create an empty dictionary file waiting for
you to fill with Arabic signs! So it is only the spoken Arabic
language that is impossible for SignWriter 4.4.

SignBank 2.0 in FileMaker is dependent on FileMaker's languages. I am
happy to say that it appears that FileMaker is available in
Japanese....so that means we can do a database with the Japanese
spoken language, and of course Japanese signs in SignWriting.

I will write to the FileMaker people to find out if they support
spoken Arabic...I do not know yet, but I will inform you when I find
out.

Regarding creating a new Arabic version of SignWriter 4.4, with
Arabic Fingerspelling keyboards and dictionary files, if you purchase
one copy of SignWriter I will be happy to work with you on this. It
is at least a week's work on my part to create a new version. I will
need diagrams of your fingerspelling in different parts of the Arabic
Nations, plus your numbers from 0 - 10.

Here is information on purchasing SignWriter:

SIGNWRITING CATALOG ONLINE
https://www.SignWriting.org/catalog/catalog.html

SignWriter Computer Program Package
https://www.SignWriting.org/catalog/sw124.html

We can also create a Sutton Font, in True Type, for the Arabic
Fingerspelling keyboards later:

SignWriting Fingerspelling Fonts
https://www.SignWriting.org/catalog/sw214.html

Val ;-)

  Message 5675  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index