forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5690  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Bill Reese
Date:  Sun Sep 23, 2001  10:30 pm
Subject:  Southern Deaf Showcase

Val,

The Southern Deaf Showcase ended today. I included SignWriting on one
end of the booth for ALDA, my support group. That end of the table got
a LOT of attention.

I didn't make a presentation at the Showcase. I hadn't seen enough
interest or support for it up to this point. However, during the
showcase itself I was approached by a Saint Petersburg College (SPC)
representative who asked if I would be interested in making a
SignWriting presentation during a disability awareness event they are
having at the end of October. While I like to think of those with
disabilities as not being disabled but being differently abled, I agreed
to present.

Several people expressed an interesting in looking at SignWriting. There
was a speech pathologist working with two deaf children, many students
from the local colleges, some culturally Deaf. Most everyone who
expressed an interest were curious and asked questions - which was
encouraging.

Our work was a success. :-)

Bill

  Replies Author Date
5697 Re: Southern Deaf Showcase Valerie Sutton Mon  9/24/2001

  Message 5690  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index