forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5722  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Fri Sep 28, 2001  7:36 pm
Subject:  Re: SW44 in NT

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Hector Devia wrote:

> Hello to all of YOU, and I would like to request for YOUR help. I
> installed SW4.4 in my office's computer but it is not working. I
> installed it according to the instructions but nothing. It just opens
> the files screen, but commands don't work. It is frozen. I have tried
> to modify the PIF, nothing happens. The computer that I use is part of
> a net that works with Windows 2000 NT. What can I do? The program is
> copy of which I have at home and it works marvelously.

As Valerie and Trevor have said, you can't use SignWriter with
Windows NT or 2000. NT/2000 has a "cmd" program that looks like DOS, but
it can't run DOS programs.

I looked on the web, and I was only able to find one program
capable of emulating DOS under NT/2000; it's called VMWare, and it costs
$300. You can read more about it at <https://www.vmware.com>.

Probably the best solution for your particular problem, Hector, is
just to find a cheap computer that can run DOS and install it in your
office, if you have room. Or do all your work on your home computer and
wait for SignWriter 5.0...

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Replies Author Date
5748 Re: SW44 in NT Valerie Sutton Tue  10/2/2001
5754 Re: SW44 in NT Angus B. Grieve-Smith Tue  10/2/2001

  Message 5722  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index