forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5728  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Charles Butler
Date:  Fri Sep 28, 2001  1:14 pm
Subject:  Re: Deaf Way II Conference

Dear Everyone on the Sign Writing list....

Well, folks, I would love to present Sign Writing at the Deaf Way II
Conference, but I cannot reach the monetary deadline for my own registration
before September 30 (tomorrow). Is there anyone on this list who is already
registered who can send them the following proposal:

PROPOSAL

Sign Language as Literature - An Exploration of Sutton Sign Writing.

This is an overview of the basic concepts of Sign Writing and various
publications that have been done in written sign language. Examples include
short stories, poetry, newspapers, and dictionaries in several different
sign languages including ASL, Nicaraguan, Spanish (continental), German, and
Brasilian (LIBRAS).

Class time necessary 2 hours. (1 hour teaching time, 1 hour discussion and
comparison).

Teacher: Charles R. Butler, III and others.

BIO: Charles R. Butler, III holds a B.A. from the University of Michigan in
Latin-American Studies. He has been involved in the spread of Sign Writing
since 1978, since he first found a newspaper in Sign Writing in the Martin
Luther King Library in Washington, DC. Far from being a "dead" system, he
found it lively, and he was hooked. He attended the ground-breaking FENEIS
(Brasilian equivalent of the NAD) conference in Porto Alegre, Brasil in June
of 2001, where those assembled voted to include Sign Writing in the teaching
of all levels of education for the Deaf and interpreters in Brasil.

Could someone who is already registered please send in this proposal?

I know that several people on this list are registered already, I just don't
have $100 available on a credit card today.

Charles Butler