forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5763  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Oct 3, 2001  11:06 pm
Subject:  Uploading a SW4.4 dict to SWML...

Stefan Woehrmann2 wrote:
>Supporting Deaf Sign Languages in Written Form on the Web" from
>Antonio Carlos da Rocha Costa....on page 2/12 he says : The set of
>information concerning a symbol being used in a sign comprised, at
>the end, seven items : variation (indicating complementary
>transformations).....

SignWriting List
October 3, 2001

Hello Stefan -
Thanks for your interest in signs, symbols, variations and their defintions!

Here in the US, my definition of "sign...equals....word" and
"symbol...equals....letter", are not immediately understood. The
difference between SignBank and SymbolBank has to be explained for
all newcomers to SignWriting....including our FileMaker programmer,
who got the two "banks" confused until he thought about it. So when
we release the beta test version of SignBank, which includes
SymbolBank in one section of the program...it will be interesting to
see how people learn the program...I hope it will be an enjoyable
experience for everyone and not confusing....

Regarding the term "variation"...Antonio Carlos is much better with
words than I am!.... His definition of "variation" is a perfect
description... (we feel the same and are working together to define
the symbols and their related variations ;-).

Have you visited the SWML site?:

SWML
SignWriting Markup Language Site
https://swml.ucpel.tche.br/

As you know, SWML is using the SSS-1995 symbol set at
present....Antonio Carlos has created hundreds of GIFs for that
job....When I see how much work it has been for me to create GIFs of
the 1999 set, I certainly am amazed at his accomplishment...Have you
tried to upload a SignWriter 4.4 dictionary there? On the web, you
can upload and create GIFs of your SignWriter 4.4 dictionary files,
using the SWML converter that Antonio Carlos designed:

SWML Online Services:
Upload a SW 4.4 dictionary file
https://swml.ucpel.tche.br/dic2swml-online.htm

It is an exciting experience...but be sure to experiment with very
small dictionary files at first...files become larger in SWML..

5764 SW4.4 Gifs.... Valerie Sutton Wed  10/3/2001

  Message 5763  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index