forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5875  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Fri Nov 9, 2001  1:04 pm
Subject:  Re: Is SignWriting Necessary?

I agree with your thoughts, Stuart. My humorous take on the video
issue was: if video is the equivalent of writing for sign languages, does
that mean that people whose VCR is still flashing 12:00 are illiterate?

Your criticism and Antonio Carlos's are apt: it may be possible to
create a quick video with a Webcam or a camcorder, but it is not as easy
as picking up a pad and paper, or typing an email. And if you try and
stick a video to a bulletin board or a refrigerator door, you don't
communicate the way you would have if you had done that with a piece of
paper.

As to the other question of "visual ASL, written English" (leaving
aside the fact that written English is visual too), I'm reading a
fascinating book right now:

Joseph, John Earl. 1987. Eloquence and power: The rise of language
standards and standard languages. New York: Basil Blackwell.

As I read Joseph's description of the creation of standard
languages, I was continually struck by the similarities between the
current situation of ASL with respect to English, the situation of English
with respect to Latin in the Middle Ages and the situation of Latin with
respect to Greek during the rise of the Roman Empire.

Here's a quote from Joseph (pages 104-105) that seemed
particularly germane to your posting. In this case, ASL is the
"vernacular" and "L", and English is the "Standard H":

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Replies Author Date
5944 Re: Is SignWriting Necessary? Valerie Sutton Sat  11/24/2001

  Message 5875  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index