forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5895  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stuart Thiessen
Date:  Wed Nov 14, 2001  4:33 pm
Subject:  Brackets to represent phrases with the same non-manual markers

I am curious what others think of this convention of writing. It makes
sense to me. Would it still make sense if it were written
vertically? Another question is how would this affect searching for a
sign? If I wanted to search for an sign that has the INTENSE facial
expression or TOPIC facial expression, how would that work? Would we need
to define a different "layer" to be searched for these kind of expressions
which affect more than one sign?

Thanks,

Stuart

At 20:37 11/08/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi, everybody!
>
>Also, as you may know, we use brackets here to represent when whole phrases
>use the same facial expression. So rather than have to read a head shaking
>over every sign in the whole phrase, we put a beginning bracket with the
>head shaking and then a close bracket at the end. Cognitively this is a bit
>more accurate anyway--negation is often an element of the phrase, not the
>individual sign. I'll attach here part of a text with some examples in
>Spanish SL.
>
>Have a super day!
>Steve :-)

Stuart Thiessen
4616 Hickman
Des Moines, IA 50310

  Replies Author Date
5896 New SignBank Web Posting Valerie Sutton Thu  11/15/2001
5903 Re: Brackets to represent phrases with the same nCharles Butler Charles Butler Thu  11/15/2001

  Message 5895  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index