forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5941  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Nov 24, 2001  5:00 pm
Subject:  Re: research paper on sign writing

SignWriting List
November 24, 2001

Dear SW List members:

Thank you for your excellent discussions about SignWriting,
MovementWriting, and linguistics. Everything Karen said below is
absolutely true...

I would like to comment on my role in all this. I am a movement
notator. I invented a general movement notation system, called Sutton
Movement Writing. Then, I took those "general movement symbols" and I
shared them with signers who already know a signed language, and I
asked them to experiment - to try to write their signed languages
with those symbols.

That means that there is a true difference between Sutton Movement
Writing and SignWriting. I will always be the person who knows Sutton
Movement Writing best...after all...those are my symbols...and in
regards to MovementWriting...yes I do have "veto power", as Karen
mentioned below.

But SignWriting is the "application of MovementWriting symbols to
specific Sign Languages", and when it comes to SignWriting
development, I turn to the experts who know signed languages, and we
work together as a team. That is why I hired native signing Deaf
consultants, called the DAC, in the 1980's and early 1990's, to give
us their perspective on SignWriting for ASL. And that is why I hired
Karen van Hoek, back in the 1980's, to give us a linguistic
perspective on the issue. And that is why I value everyone's opinions
on the SW List so much! Your input is invaluable...

And that is also why, when answering questions on the SignWriting
List, I am quick to point out that I am not a dictator! I instead, am
a movement notator, who shares my writing system with experts in Sign
Languages, and together we choose what symbols are useful in
SignWriting and what symbols are not useful. No matter what, all
those symbols exist in MovementWriting, so they are always there for
people, if needed for research...but that is a choice that has to be
made in SignWriting...which symbols to use, and which symbols not to
use..and it will be an issue plaguing us for years to come! I
personally believe it will be a matter of natural evolution...as more
and more people use SignWriting, the signs will become simiplified in
a natural process out of necessity, and some information will be
assumed, just as we assume a great deal when reading spoken language
writing systems.

It is my feeling that Deaf children do not need to use all details,
when expressing themselves in their native signed language...so
keeping the SignWriting symbol-set (for a specific signed language)
fairly small, is to everyone's advantage...

Those are my thoughts for the moment!

Val ;-)