forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5993  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Dec 3, 2001  2:37 am
Subject:  Re: math signs

Cecelia Smith in Texas wrote:
>I am interpreting in a local community college, and we are looking
>for ASL signs for some of the concepts. Is there someone out there
>that can help ... we are currently discussing comparative
>differentials.....>Need to sign things like "5 is to 25 as 9 is to
>____" can you help? thanks, Cecelia Smith, Fort Worth, Texas.

SignWriting List
December 2, 2001

Thank you for this question, Cecelia. I was hoping someone else might
answer you on the List. If someone on the List knows the way to sign
this in ASL, then we could try to write it in SignWriting as a group.

There is one book that I know:

"Signs for Science and Mathematics
A Resource Book for Teachers and Students"
by Dr. Frank Caccamise and Dr. Harry G. Lang
National Technical Institute for the Deaf
Rochester Institute of Technology

In this book, SignWriting movement symbols are used in conjunction
with life-like illustrations to show the scientific and mathematical
signs.

Hope this helps!