forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6080  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Dec 27, 2001  5:02 pm
Subject:  Re: ZURICH: Right & Left Placement

ZURICH Project wrote:
>>>Do we have to add a head to these cases? i.e. add the head with
>>>only an 'anchoring' but no other linguistic function? Or is there
>>>perhaps some other symbol that we could use to anchor the manual
>>>signs which have a special spatial locus but no linguistic
>>>information from the head?

SignWriting List
December 27, 2001

Dear SW List and Zurich Project members!
I hope you all are having a wonderful holiday season.....And thanks
for your questions ;-)

ANSWER, PART 1

RIGHT-LEFT PLACEMENT
Right-Left Placement can be written as two static positions (like two
separate signs...right and then left)...OR...it can be written as one
sign with movement symbols between the right and left positions.

WRITING TWO POSITIONS
There are three choices of "anchors":

1. placing the signs in vertical columns
2. circle for the face (with or without an expression in it)
3. shoulder line

When signs are written horizontally, a shoulder line or a circle for
the face is required as the anchor for right and left placement.

When signs are written vertically, the vertical nature of the column
itself gives the anchor. So writing vertically has a great advantage,
since it does not require a shoulder line or a circle for the head to
be read properly. Please see attached diagram:
Attachment
right_left_01.gif
Type: image/gif

6081 Re: ZURICH: Right & Left Placement Valerie Sutton Thu  12/27/2001

  Message 6080  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index