forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6120  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Mon Dec 31, 2001  12:41 am
Subject:  Re: translating written or typed words to sign

> Vicki Desanto asks: "I am looking for a way to translate typed words
> and have the corresponding sign for that word appear. No more than one
> sentence at a time.

Hello, Vicki. No, there is no easy way to have a computer
translate for you. As Valerie said, sign languages are very complicated
and different from any spoken language. It takes years of training to
master a sign language well enough to be a good interpreter, and a
computer is just never going to match that.

There are "machine translation" systems for various languages; you
can see examples at <https://babel.altavista.com>. If you know any pair of
the languages available there, you can see immediately that the
translation is sketchy at best. People are working on similar systems for
sign languages, but you probably wouldn't want to rely on them for much of
anything.

> I am a sign dancer and am looking for a way to simplify my learning.

I'm curious. How does someone learn to be a sign dancer, even the
complicated way?

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Replies Author Date
6121 Re: translating written or typed words to sign Valerie Sutton Mon  12/31/2001

  Message 6120  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index