forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6122  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Dec 31, 2001  1:42 am
Subject:  Re: ARABIA: New Web Posting!

>Angus wrote: The main thing that you need to do is to install a PostScript
>printer driver on your computer and tell it to "Print to File."

EMBEDDING ARABIC FONTS In a POSTSCRIPT FILE

Thank you, Angus, for suggesting the Postscript File to Mohammed.
There is something I must warn you all about...

When the Ghost program, or Acrobat, create the PDF file from the
Postscript File, the Ghost Program or Acrobat has to be a special
version that will embed the Arabic font from right to left...

I tried myself to do that on my computer, but Acrobat refused to
embed the font, because it said it was "unrecognizable"...and now we
know that my computer was reversing the Arabic script anyway - so you
can see that there are issues, when creating the PS file in Arabic

So Mohamed, if you send us a PS file, without the font embedded, we
are doomed...The PDF will replace the font with Helvetica on our
American computers!

But if you go ahead and create the PDF file for us, on your Arabic
typing computer, then that may be different. If you do that, you must
be sure to embed the Arabic font in the PDF file, which will make the
PDF larger, but it is the ONLY way we will see it in Arabic...

I understand there is a special version of Acrobat for Arabic that
saves fonts from right to left. I do not know if there is one for
Ghost or not...

Plus, if you send me graphics files, which is what I want, there are
ways now to reduce those files way down to small sizes in Acrobat so
we could create maybe 5 PDF files that can be accessed in sequence,
and there will be no font issues...

Those are my thoughts...but I know, Angus, you know so much! I always
learn from you...So if you understand the Arabic font issues better
than I - that is great! Please inform us ;-)

___________________________

Valerie Sutton

....visit the...

SignWritingSite
https://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages

SignBankSite
https://www.SignBank.org
Sign Language Dictionaries

DanceWritingSite
https://www.DanceWriting.org
Read & Write Dance

MovementWritingSite
https://www.MovementWriting.org
Read & Write Movement & Gesture

Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
tel: 858-456-0098....fax: 858-456-0020

  Replies Author Date
6123 Re: ARABIA: New Web Posting! Angus B. Grieve-Smith Mon  12/31/2001
6124 Re: ARABIA: New Web Posting! Valerie Sutton Mon  12/31/2001
6139 Re: ARABIA: New Web Posting! Angus B. Grieve-Smith Wed  1/2/2002
6126 Re: ARABIA: New Web Posting! Dan Parvaz Mon  12/31/2001
6127 ARABIA: and Happy New Year!! Valerie Sutton Mon  12/31/2001

  Message 6122  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index