forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6175  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Jan 11, 2002  4:03 pm
Subject:  Re: Questions for a Notation Comparisons Study

>Susanne Bentele wrote:
>>* Does the large number of symbols seem to have an effect (i.e.
>>negative) on learnability or readability?

SignWriting List
January 11, 2002

Val's answer: No. Quantity of symbols, or the lack thereof, does not
influence readability.

Readability and learnability, when it comes to Sign Language
Literacy, is based on the visual nature of the writing system
matching the visual nature of the Sign Language being written.

So regarding our success with deaf students reading Sign Language
literature fluently (as they do!)....it is due to the fact that
SignWriting looks like Sign Language...and has nothing to do with how
many symbols there are...

___________________________

Valerie Sutton

....visit the...

SignWritingSite
https://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages

SignBankSite
https://www.SignBank.org
Sign Language Dictionaries

DanceWritingSite
https://www.DanceWriting.org
Read & Write Dance

MovementWritingSite
https://www.MovementWriting.org
Read & Write Movement & Gesture

Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
tel: 858-456-0098....fax: 858-456-0020

  Replies Author Date
6176 Re: Questions for a Notation Comparisons Study Valerie Sutton Fri  1/11/2002

  Message 6175  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index