forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6183  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Jan 15, 2002  3:48 pm
Subject:  Re: Questions for a Notation Comparisons Study

>On 1/11/02, James Kegl wrote: The journey is not a race. The goal
>is to get to the destination. I have not encountered a single Deaf
>Nicaraguan who can get to that destination (the ability to access
>complex information or to express sophisticated concepts in print)
>by reading or writing Spanish. Deaf Nicaraguans who can SignWrite
>have achieved literacy.....

SignWriting List
January 15, 2002

Thank you, James, for this outstanding description of a simple fact.
While others may say it cannot be done, there are, right now, Deaf
Nicaraguans who have achieved literacy with SignWriting as their
writing system. Photo attached: Ancelmo, a Deaf Nicaraguan, writes
SignWriting during a presentation in Albuquerque, New Mexico, summer,
2001:

Attachment
Ancelmo-demo-handwrite-SW.jpg
Type: image/jpeg

  Message 6183  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index