forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6191  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Susanne Bentele
Date:  Wed Jan 16, 2002  8:02 am
Subject:  Re: Questions for a Notation Comparisons Study

Val wrote:

>1. SignWriting Printing was designed for "reading economy"...the
>visual nature makes it easy to read...
>
>2. SignWriting Shorthand was designed for "writing economy"...and
>there are some who became skilled in this years ago...and work is
>still being done in this area...

Thank you for summing it up so nicely for me! ;-) That's exactly what
I was going to write.
Still, writing economy is a valid point, even though SW Printing was
designed for its reading economy. I believe what is used in most
(all?) schools in the SW literacy project is printing and not
shorthand. And not all schools use computers for this all the time.
We have seen wonderful pieces of writing in SW by schoolchildren. So,
SW printing is used for handwriting and therefore wrting economy does
matter. The fact that all these children don't seem to find the
symbols difficult and can fluently write them, however, does make the
hypothesis of "a good writing system has to have a good reading
economy" somewhat less important. It's great to have the literacy
project as a background that can be referred to. And whose success
can be referred to, also.

Have a nice day, everyone.
Susanne

  Replies Author Date
6193 Re: Questions for a Notation Comparisons Study Valerie Sutton Wed  1/16/2002
6194 Re: Questions for a Notation Comparisons Study Valerie Sutton Wed  1/16/2002
6195 Re: Questions for a Notation Comparisons Study Valerie Sutton Wed  1/16/2002

  Message 6191  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index