forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6241  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann2
Date:  Wed Jan 23, 2002  5:42 pm
Subject:  Re: ZURICH: Some general questions

Hi Penny and friends,

what I am doing in these cases is to add this special "tilde" ( = tension
symbol) SSW No ???? )
to that hand to indicate that this handshape has been used during a whole
phase of signing ..

I think we should not add any artificial (graphic) components to the SW -
symbol Set .. ;-)

Have a look at my gif. This is a video -transcription of a competent Deaf
signer - I learned a lot during transcribing about the function of the left
hand and used this tension - symbol to support a fluent reading.

Best wishes

Stefan ;-)

Dear Val,

Here are some general questions that have cropped us as the Noah notation
went along:

(...)

2. In notating sign text, do you already have some convention to show that
a sign is held by one hand through the production of following signs? Just
to notate it with a normal handshape symbol seems somewhat odd, as it looks
like it's a part of the formation of the current sign, rather than the
continuation (holding) of a previous sign.
We can use PhotoShop to make the ,retained' sign grayer or something. But
maybe there is some way to show this directly in SW?

Attachment
penny spelling here left hand shape stays.gif
Type: image/gif

6264 Re: ZURICH: hand held for a long time? Valerie Sutton Thu  1/24/2002
6266 ZURICH: In-Between Planes Valerie Sutton Thu  1/24/2002
6265 Re: ZURICH: hand held for a long time? Valerie Sutton Thu  1/24/2002

  Message 6241  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index