forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6262  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Jan 24, 2002  8:09 pm
Subject:  ZURICH: hand held for a long time?

>>>Penny in Switzerland wrote:....2. In notating sign text, do you
>>>already have some convention to show that a sign is held by one
>>>hand through the production of following signs? Just to notate it
>>>with a normal handshape symbol seems somewhat odd, as it looks
>>>like it's a part of the formation of the current sign, rather than
>>>the continuation (holding) of a previous sign...

SignWriting List
January 24, 2002

Yes. We have a standard way to write "one hand being held for a long
time". It is explained in the "Lessons in SignWriting Textbook" in
Chapter 12, on Dynamics.

The Tension Symbol, when placed near a lone hand symbol, means the
"hand is being held in space". We use this for marking classifiers.
Here are excerpts from Chapter 12:

Attachment
classifier1.gif
Type: image/gif

6263 Re: ZURICH: hand held for a long time? Valerie Sutton Thu  1/24/2002

  Message 6262  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index