forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6276  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Shannon Casey
Date:  Mon Jan 28, 2002  12:50 am
Subject:  SW vs. Stokoe notation

Those of you who are interested in SW and Stokoe notation system comparisons
might be interested in this.

I am teaching an undergraduate class on the linguistic structure of ASL.
I gave my students a homework assignment in which they had to match drawings
of signs from an ASL dictionary with their forms written using SignWriting
and Stokoe notation. I made the assignment more difficult by including
several signs that differed only in handshape, movement, or orientation.

After they completed the assignment I asked them which system they liked
better and they said, "SignWriting".

-Shannon Casey

  Replies Author Date
6277 Re: SW vs. Stokoe notation Angus B. Grieve-Smith Mon  1/28/2002
6279 Re: SW vs. Stokoe notation Valerie Sutton Mon  1/28/2002
6280 Re: SW vs. Stokoe notation Angus B. Grieve-Smith Mon  1/28/2002
6278 Re: SW vs. Stokoe notation Valerie Sutton Mon  1/28/2002

  Message 6276  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index