Date: Fri Feb 15, 2002 4:45
SignWriting List Forum
Subject: Lack of understanding of SW, so frustrating...
>How did you lead with that? Do you think that (some)
>deafs, specially the ones that are already scared of
>spoken language, would use SW as an "excuse" not to
>continue their studies of that spoken language?
February 15, 2002
Hello Flavio and Everyone -
There has never been a Deaf person that I know of, using SignWriting
as an excuse to avoid learning...In fact, just the
OPPOSITE...SignWriting opens their inspiration to learn more...Deaf
children's literacy skills are improving in the classrooms that use
Yes - we all experience this kind of frustration....Below is a list
of questions and answers on the web. If you read number 25 below, you
will see some discussions on this very topic, which comes up from
time to time....SignWriting is still here, after 27 years, and not
going away, but instead spreading, so I think in time the
frustrations should get a little better! I hope so ;-)
Questions & Answers Directory
1. Deafness, Sign Language & SignWriting
2. Is Sign Language International?
3. How Many Sign Languages Are There?
4. What is SignWriting?
5. Why Write Sign Language
6. Is SignWriting a New Language?
7. Is SignWriting Free To Use?
Yes! Questions & Answers About Trademarks
8. How Can I Learn SignWriting?
Different Choices Plus Workshop Descriptions
9. Can SignWriting Be Written By Hand?
Six-page article with illustrations
10. How Is The SignWriter Newsletter Prepared?
Two-page article with illustrations
11. Can the SignWriter Computer Program
Be Used on the Macintosh? Yes!
Questions & Answers About Typing Signs
12. What is the difference between
SignWriting and English Glosses?
13. Won't SignWriting Take Time From Learning To Read & Write English?
14. Can I Publish Using SignWriting? Yes!
15. What is the SignWriting Literacy Project?
16. What Do Schools & Teachers Say?
Teacher at the Oregon School For The Deaf
17. What Do Schools & Teachers Say?
Private Tutor of Deaf Students, Ontario, Canada
18. What Do Schools & Teachers Say?
Teacher at the Caldwell Elementary School,
Hearing Impaired Program, Wichita, Kansas
20. How Quickly Do Deaf Children
Learn To Read SignWriting?
21. How Do You Translate Into SignWriting?
22. Can the SignWriter Computer Program
Be Used on the Macintosh?
Yes! Questions & Answers About Typing Signs
23. How Are SignWriting Symbols Invented?
The inventor discusses the creative process
of developing symbols used around the world...
24. Is SignWriting & DanceWriting Blending?
.....about the entire movement writing system....
25. Why Has SignWriting Been Controversial?
.....discussing issues that surround new ideas.....
26. SignWriting Terminology
.....discussing the different terms used.....
27. Physical versus Cultural Deafness
.....different languages mold different cultures.....
28. What was published in the 1970's?
.....SignWriting papers & books 1974-1980.....
Read & Write Sign Languages
Sign Language Dictionaries
Read & Write Dance
Read & Write Movement & Gesture
Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
tel: 858-456-0098....fax: 858-456-0020