forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6366  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Feb 20, 2002  3:55 pm
Subject:  Re: FRENCH SWISS:Sign Writing Questions

SignWriting List
February 20, 2002

Anne-Claude wrote:
>One of the professionnal asked whether there is a minimal age to
>introduce the SW system for the kids.......Do any of you have
>experience in that field. When do you introduce Sw to your deaf kids
>? What age do you start?

Hello Anny!
Thank you very much for your report. Fall, 2002, is a good time for
the Fribourg School to start using SignWriting (if they choose to do
it)...It takes time for people to think through the tremendous
opportunity that SignWriting provides...

SignWriting can be taught to any age, Anny....In Germany and
Albuquerque, New Mexico, profoundly Deaf children are learning
SignWriting as young as five years old...and I know that some
children even younger have enjoyed it too...

Have you visited the German web site on SignWriting?

Deaf children in Germany
https://www.gebaerdenschrift.de

You can see the age of the children, by their pictures. They appear
to be around 8 or 9 years old, but there are younger ones too.
Stefan, their teacher, uses SignWriting daily with very young
children...

Here is a picture from the German web site:

Attachment
SWchildren1.jpg
Type: image/jpeg

6367 Re: FRENCH SWISS:Sign Writing Questions Valerie Sutton Wed  2/20/2002
6369 Re: FRENCH SWISS:Sign Writing Questions Valerie Sutton Wed  2/20/2002
6370 Re: FRENCH SWISS:Sign Writing Questions Valerie Sutton Wed  2/20/2002
6371 Re: FRENCH SWISS:Sign Writing Questions Valerie Sutton Wed  2/20/2002
6368 Re: FRENCH SWISS:Sign Writing Questions Valerie Sutton Wed  2/20/2002

  Message 6366  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index