forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6476  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Fri Mar 8, 2002  1:32 pm
Subject:  Re: Is signwriting really a writing system?

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Marie Alexander wrote:

> I hope Dan doesn't mind me saying that would not push aside the great
> developments that can be partly or fully attributed to the alphabetic
> invention. They are many.

John Joseph argues that standardization (and from that, a lot of
what Labov calls "linguistic insecurity" can be attributed to the
alphabetic invention. Not sure I would put this in with the great
developments.

> Nevertheless, one should keep in mind the fact that if no language had
> yet been written and we were about to start now, it would be preferable
> to use a system similar to the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet).

Okay, I have to ask why you believe that.

> Later on we will send the sw-list details on our work on a dictionary
> for LSM (Maltese Sign Language) using signwriting.

Ack! Another acronym clash. We'll never be rid of them. What is
the full name in Maltese, out of curiosity?

-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department
University of New Mexico

  Message 6476  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index