forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6480  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Fernando Capovilla
Date:  Fri Mar 8, 2002  7:00 pm
Subject:  hieroglyphs were used for phonetic encoding by Egyptians, as demonstrated by Champollion´s work

> I'm sure a Chinese or Egyptian might think (or have =
> thought) that their logographic systems were more efficient than an =
> alphabetic script. I am not sure having not spoken with a Chinese or =
> Egyptian to see their thoughts <SMILE>.

My two cents:
Let us not forget that hieroglyphs were used for phonetic encoding by Egyptians,
as demonstrated by Champollion ±± work.
SignWriting is a writing system. By the way, what is meant by "real"?
Fernando
VCard
Fernando Capovilla, Ph.D., Livre-Docente

Professor, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Psicologia Experimental e Clinica

Av. Prof. Mello Moraes 1721 Sao Paulo SP 05508-900, Brazil

Coord. Lab. Neuropsicolinguistica Cognitiva Experimental (LANCE, IP-USP), Lab. Tecnologia e Reabilitacao Cognitiva ( IP-USP), Divisao Clinica de Disturbios de Comunicacao e Linguagem (IP-USP), Editor periodico Ciencia Cognitiva: Teoria, Pesquisa e Aplicacao (IP-USP)

  Replies Author Date
6481 Re: hieroglyphs were used for phonetic encoding b Angus B. Grieve-Smith Fri  3/8/2002
6483 Re: hieroglyphs were used for phonetic encoding b Valerie Sutton Sat  3/9/2002
6484 "Real" writing systems Angus B. Grieve-Smith Sat  3/9/2002

  Message 6480  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index