forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6503  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Angus Grieve-Smith
Date:  Fri Mar 15, 2002  4:39 pm
Subject:  Re: Is signwriting really a writing system?

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Marie Alexander wrote:

> An orthographic system that used an easily readable system would be
> easier to hear for hearing people. Just as SW can be easily read by
> deaf people (and also by hearing people) who know the sign language
> being written.

My understanding is that for the most frequent words, every
writing system is used logographically in practice. In other words,
people associate an entire word to either a sound/image or a concept. The
phonetic principle is only used for less frequent words and for learners.

> tas-Sinjali Maltija. I am sorry to disappoint you but at any rate MSL
> is already "taken".

By whom? A number of people have used LSM to refer to Mexican
Sign Language in the past. I'm curious about these "abbreviation
namespace negotiations" that have been going on. I think that whoever
named Auslan was on to something. I don't know about Ameslan though...

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Replies Author Date
6504 Re: Is signwriting really a writing system? Dan Parvaz Fri  3/15/2002
6507 Re: Is signwriting really a writing system? Valerie Sutton Fri  3/15/2002
6518 Names for sign languages Angus B. Grieve-Smith Sun  3/17/2002
6542 Re: Names for sign languages Flavio Medina Tue  3/19/2002
6546 Re: Names for sign languages Valerie Sutton Tue  3/19/2002

  Message 6503  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index