forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6559  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Mark Penner
Date:  Wed Mar 20, 2002  2:46 am
Subject:  Progress report from Japan

Since I wrote with a problem (problems are good; they mean we're working in
SW again!), I thought I'd also let you know what's happening here.

We're translating a Bible portion into Japanese Sign Language (JSL
below--sorry, I'm a lazy typist), and using video for the final product,
but cueing in Japanese has proved totally unworkable in certain sections,
so I'm trying my hand at writing whole sentences in SW for the signer to
see if that helps. Timing, rhythm, placement, etc. should be clearer this way.

At the same time, last week, a Deaf JSL teacher asked if I would teach her
SW. I've been using it in some of her classes to write down grammatical
structures, and she wants to try it in her classes. As it is, her students
can use the two hour classroom sessions to learn, but have no way of
referring back to what they learned for study or try using it in
conversation, etc. I'm glad to be working with her, because being both Deaf
and aware of her language as a teacher of JSL, she can help with
orthography, etc.

And, I met Flavio (or Rikki, as he's called here) last week! As great as he
is on the e-mail list, he's way better in person. We had so much fun
talking about everything else that we didn't get too far on SW. His course
of study probably won't allow it, but I've put in a big plug for developing
a Japanese SignWriter program. We'll see.

Anyway, that's what's happening here. Now I need to get back to my
SignWriter. :-)

Mark

Mark Penner
Tokyo, Japan

  Message 6559  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index