forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6568  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stuart Thiessen
Date:  Wed Mar 20, 2002  5:32 pm
Subject:  Re: SignBank 3: What kind of search-routines do you want?

Just off the top of my head, it might be nice to do a search of all signs
with a reasonable variant of the handshape. Maybe based on the group
number. For example, any sign which has these handshapes (or a close
variant of it) and these other movement or face parameters? That way you
can catch signs which might be simplifications of more detailed signs or
more detailed signs that are variants of your simplified sign.

It might also take into consideration leaving off possible ending or opening
positions. I don't know if that is realistic. That is just a brainstorm
off the top of my head.

I guess I'm looking at phonemic vs. phonetic searching

Another possibility is to do what we might call dictionary vs. "inflected"
forms. For example, if I put in the sign "TO GO", could it find "I GO", "HE
GOES", "THEY GO". Or repetitive motion signs or noun variants of verb
signs. This starts to get out of the phonetic aspects and gets into
morphology of signs, but maybe there is a way to add a "morphology" module
to the signbank so that this kind of research would be possible?

Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Stuart

Stuart Thiessen