forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6598  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Mar 21, 2002  10:47 pm
Subject:  Re: Sign-To-Spoken Language Translations

Angus wrote:
> I'm not in complete agreement with either of you. :-) As an
>accredited translator (French-English), I can state with some confidence
>that translation is not exact. I think that the sign interpreters on this
>list will agree with me about translation between sign languages and
>spoken languages. Maybe even complete agreement?

Ha!! This is great ;-)

Well - I think that the word "exact" in English has different
interpretations - ha!!

Two different meanings for the word "exact" and I agree with both of
you - so there! ;-)

Anny, I believe, was trying to explain that signed languages are as
rich and sophisticated as spoken languages and that in the sense that
the word "exact" means "precise", Anny was trying to explain that
signed languages are indeed "precise"...Years ago, when I lived in
Denmark, I remember that the word "exact" oftentimes was interpreted
to mean "precision"... and it had nothing to do with computer
translations...or "one-on-one kind of exact"...

Anyway, in my original statement I was talking about "exact"
"one-to-one" correlation...

Did you agree with my original statement, Angus, or is that in
disagreement too?! ;-)

Val ;-)

  Message 6598  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index