forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6603  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Mar 22, 2002  3:58 am
Subject:  Re: SignBank 2002

SignWriting List
March 21, 2002

Dan wrote:
>I think the problem here is with the word "translation," which I
>think was being used to mean "lexical/word class equivalence." So
>just because language X doesn't have, say, articles, it doesn't mean
>that the same sense cannot be expressed.

Yes, of course. I have never seen anything that can't be expressed in
a signed language in one way or another...So of course "the" can be
expressed within the context of a sentence...but Tony didn't give me
a sentence...he just wanted one sign for one word...

Tony....correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you are interested in
developing translation software between signed and spoken languages?
....That is my memory of our previous conversations and that is why I
used the word translation in my message to you- I wasn't thinking of
interpreters at all...but instead of computer translation... Val ;-)

  Message 6603  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index